Hello, strangers!

Hello, stranger...

This is a private (from time to time) blog for my cinematic obsessions and scintillating (one-sided) reflections about movies. Feel yourself at home!

10 septembrie 2011

"Four is what...?" (19) [„Le temps detruit tout”]

Screenshots from Irréversible (dir. Gaspar Noé, 2002)

The film's great triumph is pushing Euro-art cinema to the very sickest kind of (s)exploitation movie. And not just for the rape scene, but for plenty of other little bits like that scene early on with the fire extinguisher... One of just a couple times in my life that I've actually had to convince myself that "It's just a movie. They didn't really do that".

I'd also point out that the whole structure of the film is based on the viewer wanting desperately to pretend that the nasty stuff didn't happen, and Noé basically telling us that no, no matter how much we want to focus on the nice sweet things in life, the most unspeakable horrors are always somewhere waiting. So it's not just a "fuck you" to the audience in general, it's a very specific "fuck you" to people exactly like you, and this is a view that I fully salute and support, by the way.