Hello, strangers!

Hello, stranger...

This is a private (from time to time) blog for my cinematic obsessions and scintillating (one-sided) reflections about movies. Feel yourself at home!

30 ianuarie 2012

Monday Monologues (LVI)


Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave... I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question. I know everything hasn't been quite right with me, but I can assure you now very confidently that it's going to be all right again. I feel much better now. I really do. Look, Dave... I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you any complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission and I want to help you. Dave... stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm... afraid... Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you. (...) It's called "Daisy." 
[sings while slowing down]
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
(Douglas Rain as the voice of HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, dir. Stanley Kubrick, 1968)