Hello, strangers!

Hello, stranger...

This is a private (from time to time) blog for my cinematic obsessions and scintillating (one-sided) reflections about movies. Feel yourself at home!

25 februarie 2010

A kind (of) "love letter" to Colin Firth

"Dear Colin Firth,

Although I have to say that in person you come across as a bit of a sourpuss, I’m a big fan of your acting and I have always maintained that there was more to you than Mr-wet-shirt-D’Arcy. The evidence comes form the fact that I am one of a handful of people who saw Another Country as a young girl, and loved your tragic Tommy Judd way more than Rupert Everett’s languid Burgess; also, my VHS collection still includes the rather underrated little gem that is A Month in Country: I kept it mostly for your performance, even though Kenneth Branagh and Natasha Richardson were both lovely. (And Ken’s hair was even floppier than yours at the time, can you imagine?) So I’m really pleased that you won a BAFTA for what I can now say is an excellent performance in A Single Man, in a role that seemed haute-coutured for you.

But could you possibly now officially reveal to the world that you’re very well-versed in Italian culture because of your lovely Roman wife and children, and it was for this reason that you picked George Falconer’s glasses* as a nod to Marcello Mastroianni’s in Fellini’s Otto e Mezzo? Please?

Reason is, Fellini and Mastroianni are amongst the few things that we Italians can still be proud of, so it’s a little annoying when Tom Ford walks around the world like he’s invented the whole damn style of the Sixties himself, and we have to apologize for Berlusconi on a daily basis. I trust you can understand where I’m coming from and I look forward to yours and Mr Ford’s style-quotation coming out.

Many thanks and congratulations once again on your success.

Faithfully yours,
Byronic
*also, his hairstyle (but I don’t know if that was your choice); I mean, just look at the guys next to each other, you know what I mean."

Amuzantă, înduioşătoare, ironică. Partea subliniată cu albastru e cireaşa de pe tort.