Hello, strangers!

Hello, stranger...

This is a private (from time to time) blog for my cinematic obsessions and scintillating (one-sided) reflections about movies. Feel yourself at home!

11 octombrie 2010

Kubrick rubik

E ca şi cum eu aş fi Spielberg şi v-aş invita la masă, într-o seară, la conac, unde v-aş proiecta ultima scenă din Paths of Glory. Să izbucniţi în lacrimi, la sfârşit, ar fi, poate, prea mult, în schimb, mi-ar plăcea ca odată întorşi pe la casele voastre să faceţi ce trebuie făcut!


I return again and again in my mind to the film that I elected to show my friends on the Sunday, America time, when I got the news that Stanley died. And some people came over to the house that night. They were scheduled to come over for dinner anyway. We talked the whole night about Stanley and I wanted to show all of them a scene from a movie that for me represented how deep Stanley's heart was and how much he could love and show emotion because he's been criticized as an unemotional director. I thought he was a very emotional director. And so I put the last scene from Paths of Glory where Christianne (who he then married) plays the German captive girl that stands up and sings in front of all the French soldiers bringing down the house in tears. And as the soldiers cried, we all cried watching just the last scene, not the whole picture. That isolated last scene hit a chord with everyone in the room. Two people had never seen Paths of Glory but were still totally affected by that sequence. And that, to me, represented who Stanley was as a human being.(Spielberg on Kubrick: excerpt from an interview included on Eyes Wide Shut DVD release)